Marinated tofu, buckwheat noodle salad and steamed edamame
By: Alison Bigg, Chef, Mother, Artist – Victoria BC, Canada
My kids and I are having a blast cooking together. This is the age to learn how to cook using intuition, trust in yourself and also how to learn from making mistakes. Every week it’s my kids’ turn to make a meal. I invite you follow me on their journey as they learn how to make healthy food from scratch. Maybe your own children will be inspired to do the same with you?!
This week Oliva made marinated tofu, buckwheat noodle salad and steamed edamame for dinner. YUM!
- 1 package medium organic tofu
- 1 package frozen edamame (in the shell)
- 1 small package buckwheat noodles
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup panko breading or GF bread crumbs
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1/3 cup pure sesame oil (plus a dash)
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 1/4 cup tamari or Braag’s sauce
- 2 TBSP rice wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1″ fresh grated ginger
- 1-2 carrots, grated
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 bunches (lots!) of fresh herbs, lightly chopped ie: mint, cilantro, chives, basil.
- dash sea or Himalayan salt
- Slice medium organic tofu into 10 1/2 inch rectangles.
- Put them in a bowl with the tamari or braggs, 1/3 cup pure sesame oil and grated fresh ginger. ( Save the marinade for the buckwheat noodle salad.)
- Coat the tofu with marinade then cover with mixed panko and nutritional yeast.
- Put frying pan on medium heat and heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil.
- When hot gently lay down the tofu. Brown on both sides and keep warm in the oven.
- In large pot, boil water. Add frozen edamame, in shell, and cook until tender but not squishy. 5 minutes.
- With a colander take out the beans but save water for noodles.
- Put beans in bowl and toss with a dash of pure sesame oil and salt. Keep warm.
- Using bean water, cook one small package of buckwheat noodles just until done. Don’t overcook. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Place in a bowl with left over tofu marinade, maple syrup and rice wine vinegar or lemon juice. Add lots of chopped herbs.
- Add one sliced red pepper and one or two grated carrot.