Almond Muffins (GF/DF)
By: Susan Kingston, RHN – Montreal, QC
This is a delicious and easy gluten- and dairy-free muffin recipe that is hard to beat. For all of you that are gluten free, this is a winner!
- 2½ cups almond flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup unsweetened pumpkin puree, thawed winter squash puree, butternut squash puree, unsweetened apple sauce, or mashed very ripe banana
- 2 TBSP honey, agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 TSBP coconut oil or butter (melted)
- 1 tsp vinegar (cider)
- Optional Flavourings: 1 teaspoon extract (e.g., vanilla, almond), citrus zest, dried herbs (e.g., basil, dill), or spice (e.g., cinnamon, cumin)
- Optional Stir-Ins: 1 cup fresh fruit (e.g., blueberries, diced apple) or ½ cup dried fruit/cacao nibs/chopped nuts/seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 10 cups in a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond flour, baking soda and salt (whisk in any dried spices or herbs at this point, if using).
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, honey, oil and vinegar (add any extracts or zest at this point, if using).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until blended (fold in any optional stir-ins, if using).
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 14 to 18 minutes until set at the centers and golden brown at the edges.
- Move the tin to a cooling rack and let muffins cool in the tin 30 minutes. Remove muffins from tin.