By: Hollie M. Hunt-Last, D. C’Ed. ROHP/RHN – Moncton, NB
“These tasty balls are gluten, egg, and dairy free! They are made mostly in a food processor, so cleanup is easy. Great for the summer time, when you do not want to turn on your oven. They are destined to be a party favorite!”
Prep time: 15 min (+soaking almonds + chilling time)
Yields: approx. 10 hearty balls or 15 mini ones
- 3/4 cup grated carrots (approximately 2 med/lrg carrots)
- 1/4 cup currents (or raisins)
- 1/3 cup diced pineapple (fresh or canned)
- 3/4 cup PRE- soaked almonds, drained *
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup honey (or agave nectar)
- 1/2 tsp each: sea salt, cinnamon, allspice, ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup minute oats **
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 TBSP oil of your choice
- Peel carrots and shred them in the food processor with the grater blade.
- Transfer shredded carrot to large bowl. Add diced pineapple, currents, flavorings, oil, and walnuts.
- Insert knife blade into food processor.
- Add minute oats (if using in this recipe) to food processor and allow to process until they are refined, but not turned to flour. Add to bowl.
- Put the drained, soaked almonds in the food processor with the knife blade. Allow to process until they are mealy, with a slight crunch, and not turned to butter. Leave the almonds in processor.
- Add to the almonds the complete mixture of the bowl. Blend just until well mixed together.
- Pour the ingredients into the bowl and scoop out one ball at a time, forming it in your hands.
- Roll the balls in shredded coconut if desired.
- Chill or freeze before serving. If you are taking these to a gathering, you may prefer to put these into small paper muffin cups as they can be messy and easily lose their form.
*Almonds take approximately 6 hours to fully soak. Soaked almonds should be kept in the refrigerator.
**The oats with this recipe will make the balls more solid. You can choose to omit this ingredient if you cannot find gluten free oats and this is a concern. Without the oats, you can keep these in the freezer to hold their form. They will be more flavourful without the extra bulk of the oats, but still very tasty.