By: Anik Vienneau, RHN – Shediac, NB
“This coconut rice is really tasty and easy to make!”
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Fresh Cilantro (for garnish)
- In a medium pot, melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Saute onions in oil until soft.
- Add 1 more tbsp of coconut oil and add rice. Blend until it has absorbed the oil.
- Add the can of coconut milk and the 3 cups of water and blend well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down to medium-low heat to bring to a simmer.
- Sprinkle Cumin, salt and crushed garlic into rice.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes or until all liquids have been absorbed.
Options: Try adding shredded coconut or pistachios to make this dish extra special!