Try Nut or Seed Cheese!
With dairy allergies and intolerances galore, we all know how tough it can be to give up that glorious cheese.
Sometimes goat, ewe or sheep cheese in minimal amounts does not have the same effect as cow cheese on some people.
Some of you may be vegan by choice. In either case, good for you for giving up cheese. Deprive your cravings no longer and try out our nut cheese recipe below:
Basic Nut Cheese
Yields: 2 cups
- 2 cups raw, unsalted macadamia nuts
- 2 cups water for soaking
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup of your choice of fresh herb, or a combination of sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil, edible flowers or chives.
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic.
- 2 tsp of maple, honey, or citrus zest
- ¼ cup nut or seed (roll cheese into balls or a log and roll over crumbled or finely chopped seeds or nuts).
- ¼ cup olives, sun dried tomatoes, figs, dates or dried fruit.
- Soak nuts in 2 cups of pure water overnight, or for at least 8 hrs.
- Drain and rinse well. Place in food processor or blender with ¾ cup fresh water and process until smooth and thick. Stop to scrape the sides, incorporating it back into the mixture.
- Blend in salt, lemon juice and nutritional yeast.
- Add any other ingredients for sweet or savory option and continue blending till desired consistency is reached.
Note: You can substitute raw cashews instead of macadamia nuts, but some other nuts may require different soaking and or sprouting methods.
Thanks to Suzanne Brett, RHN (Victoria, BC) for this healthy substitution recipe!