By: Amy Roberts, RHN – Moncton, NB
Perfect for Fall!
- 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 pounds carrots, thinly sliced (about 8 large or 12 medium)
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ Cup honey
- 1 TBSP grated ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 carton chicken broth (organic preferred, or if using homemade stock, 4 cups)
- 2 Cups water
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven set over medium-low heat. Add carrots and onion; saute for 10 mInutes or until browned. Stir in honey, ginger, cinnamon, chili powder, nutmeg and allspice; cook for 2 minutes or until very bubbly.
2. Add the chicken broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
3. Carefully transfer hot soup to blender and puree in batches. (Fill blender about 1/2 full).
4. Reheat and serve!
Note: Freezes very well.