Try soaked chia seeds!
Yes, these are the same seeds that you used on your chia pet growing up…turns out they are a fantastic superfood and have many uses — including being a great egg substitute! Whether you’re trying to reduce your egg consumption, are leaning towards a vegan diet, or you have simply run out of eggs and you’re in a pinch (of course, you’d have to have the seeds on hand — they should really become a staple for everyone’s pantry), this is a simple and very effective substitute for any recipe calling for eggs. Here’s how to do it:
For one egg replacement:
- 1 TBSP of chia seeds
- 3 TBSP of water
- soak seeds in water for 15 minutes, stir and voilà!
Need more reasons to try chia seeds?
- they’re a complete vegetarian protein
- they’re high in fibre, antioxidants and Omega-3s
- they’re an excellent source of calcium, magnesium and iron
- they’re raw and gluten-free
- they can be added to any food to increase bulk and help balance blood sugar, without altering taste
Note: there is very little difference in nutritional value of white seeds vs. brown/black…any colour will do for the nutritional benefits (although the white seeds have a slightly milder taste, so if you have sensitive taste buds, they might be your preference).
Leave a Reply