By: Lise Fournier, RHN – Moncton, NB
“These are easy-peasy breakfast squares that can also be used as a snack or light meal replacement. They are vegan and contain no flour or added fat. I have had rave reviews from them all summer!”
Educated Eater Note: these squares cook a little longer than our 30 minute criteria, but they’re so quick and easy to make that we had to include them!
Yields: 12 decent size squares, or you can cut them up smaller for children or small appetites.
- 3 cups oatmeal
- ½ cup chia seeds
- pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
- ½ cup dried sour cherries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 3 cups rice milk (or coconut or almond or soy), plus one cup of water.
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375C.
- Mix the dry ingredients well and then add the blueberries.
- Add the rice milk and make sure the fruit are well distributed as you add the strawberries and the maple syrup. All this can be done in a baking pan. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until it feels firm.
- Cool and cut into squares.