By: Melanie Cornacchia, Student of Holistic Nutrition – Toronto, ON
“A delicious muffin for all ages to enjoy the goodness of apples and raisins.”
Yields: 12 muffins
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda (non-aluminium)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ large apple, peeled & diced (I prefer Macintosh)
- ½ cup raisins
- ¾ cup applesauce (homemade or jarred)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 TBSP sunflower seed oil (plus some extra to coat each muffin tin)
- Gather all ingredients for your working space and preheat oven to 375 F.
- Prepare muffin tray with a light coating of oil (applied with a small piece of paper towel, or a clean finger). You may use paper liners, though I feel the oil in the tray works best.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients gently with a spatula.
- In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Add to the dry and gently stir with the spatula until the flour is all wet.
- Distribute batter into muffin tray and bake for 18-22 minutes, until tops are doomed and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days on the counter (up to 7 days in the fridge).