By: Daniel LeBlanc, RHN – Moncton, NB
“Great on their own or added to homemade party mix – along with spiced cheerios, pretzels, nuts and seeds. Enjoy!”
Yields: 6 snacks
Note: requires overnight soaking. Actual prep time after soaking: 15 min.
- 250 g Mung beans (8oz)
- water to cover beans well
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- salt to taste
- add your favourite flavours along with the salt – some we have tried and liked: mustard, cayenne pepper, dill, fresh squeezed lemon
- Soak the mung beans overnight. Drain them and dry thoroughly.
- Fry beans in olive oil over a moderate heat, turning frequently, until they are browned and crisp – between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Drain on kitchen paper towel, sprinkle with salt (and other flavours), and let cool.
- Let dry before storing. They store very well in airtight jars.