By: Dana Rourke, RHN – Kitchener, ON
Great on its own or as a topping for yogurt, fruit salad or anything else that needs a sweet healthy crunch!
Yields: about 5 cups
- 3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- ¾ cup sliced or slivered almonds
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ TBSP cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 TBSP melted butter (or vegan margarine)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup of any variety of unsulphured dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, raisins, apricots, dates and/or figs)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and place rack in the center of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the rolled oats, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together melted butter (or vegan margarine), and maple syrup. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and toss together, making sure all the dry ingredients are coated with the liquid.
- Spread onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 30 – 45 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally so the mixture browns evenly. The browner the granola gets (without burning) the crunchier the granola will be.
- Place on a wire rack to cool. Break up any large clumps of granola while the mixture is still warm.
- Once the granola has completely cooled, add the dried fruit.
- Store in an airtight container or plastic bag in the refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks.