By: Linda Houle-Robert, RHN – Orleans, ON
A healthy variation to a weekend favourite!
- 1 cup spelt flour (or for gluten-free, use brown rice, quinoa or buckwheat flour)
- ½ cup oat bran (omit for gluten-free)
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 cups unsweetened brown rice or almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup wild blueberries
Optional peach sauce:
- organic coconut oil or butter (for sauteeing)
- 4-5 peaches, sliced
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- cinnamon to taste
- sucanat sugar (optional)
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Add rice/almond milk, whisked eggs, and vanilla extract (and if you wish to have thinner pancake batterr, add a touch of water).
- Fold in the blueberries, don’t over mix! (you can replace blueberries with chopped peaches or raspberries if you wish)
- Heat small amount of oil in your pan on medium so the pancakes don’t stick (recommend using organic coconut oil) .
- Pour batter into pan. Flip pancakes when the outsides start to get slightly firm (since the batter is thick, it probably won’t bubble on top so that wouldn’t be an indicator to flip in this case).
- For the peach sautee sauce:
- Melt butter/coconut oil to lightly coat your pan.
- Add peaches and walnuts, then sprinkle with cinnamon and a touch of sucanat.
- Cook on medium until tender.
- Serve sauce over pancakes and enjoy!