By: Deborah Carson, RHN – Moncton, NB
A high-protein vegetarian dish. Serve with a side salad for an easy and complete meal!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cans (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Add cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- Stir shredded carrots into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through.
- Mix in black beans and cilantro.
- Great served wam or chilled.