By: Kyle Jones, RHN – In Fond Rememberance – Moncton, NB
Looking for ways to decrease your meat consumption? Try this vegetarian chili – loaded with fibre and taste, you won’t miss the beef!
- 2 TBSP Olive oil or butter
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 1 bulb garlic, chopped
- 1 package (16 oz) of dry lentils
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 quarts (8 cups) of water
- 2 cups each: sliced carrots, celery, green pepper
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 dash paprika; pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil/butter in large pot over low heat.
- Stir in onion and garlic, cook until tender.
- Mix in lentils and tomato products. Pour in water. Season and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, simmer 30 min, stirring occasionally.
- Mix other vegetables into chili. Continue cooking for 20 minutes over low heat.