By: Gratia Watson, RHN – Moncton, NB
“These are a real treat and can be made in so many different ways!”
Yield: approx. 40 balls
- 2 cups almonds
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup maple syrup (OR raw honey OR rice syrup OR barley syrup OR dates)
- 2/3 cup nut butter (almond, cashew, peanut – or any combination)
- 1 tsp vanilla (OR rum OR almond extract)
- 1 tsp spirulina powder (optional – for extra minerals)
- Advance prep: Soak almonds overnight. Rinse, then soak again, allowing them to sprout for one day, thus plumping up. Rinse and drain.
- Place the soaked sprouted almonds in a food processor (not a blender). Add the remaining ingredients (cocoa powder, sweet and nut butter and extract.) Blend all together until fairly smooth.
- Form into balls. If this is difficult, you can place the mixture in the fridge for a couple of hours. Lightly grease your hands.
- Formed balls can be rolled into cocoa or coconut or sesame or hemp seeds. Fruit can be inserted into the center of the balls as well. They freeze well.