By: Jill Ransom, RHN – Cochrane, AB
“Everyone asks for this recipe when I serve it. It’s fast for busy nights as well as drop-in company. Depending on how much spice you like, it is easily modified. I use to seperate a portion for my youngest and omit the spices, however he has since moved up to our heat level and it’s a one step meal now. Okra can be bought frozen and kept on hand in your freezer.”
- 1 green and red pepper, chopped
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can tomatoes, or 1 1/4 fresh chopped
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp each : cayenne, paprika, pepper, tyhme
- 2 cups cooked pasta or rice
- Dice chicken and place in skillet. Cook chicken with a small amount of water. Remove from pan.
- Stir fry peppers, onions (and mushrooms, if desired) in small amount of oil or broth for 3-5 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan, add tomatoes and 1 cup of chicken broth and all seasonings (commercial cajun seasoning blends can be used instead of seperate spices). Simmer for approximately 10 minutes while cooking pasta. Add more seasoning to taste. This recipe can be easily modified, and enlarged.
- For a thicker sauce, add a few slices of sliced okra to mixture when you add the broth.
- Serve over your choice of noodles or rice.
- Freezes well.