By: Linda Houle-Robert, RHN – Orleans, ON
“Breakfast is my absolute favorite meal of the day! This recipe provides sustainable lasting energy, balances blood sugar, increases metabolic rate and wakes up your brain for mental alertness. My girls absolutely love these!”
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill “Old Fashioned” Steel Cut Oats
- 3 cups of water
- 1 -2 TBSP ground golden flaxseeds
- 1 -2 TBSP chia seeds (optional)
- ¼ cup organic walnuts
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 organic gala apple, sliced (or sliced pear)
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- Bring oats and water to a boil and let simmer for 10-20 minutes (depending how chewy you like your oats). Stir occasionally.
- Once oats have cooled, add ground flaxseeds and chia seeds. Make patties with your hands (it may stick a bit) about 3/4 inch thick. You will get about 6-8 patties. You can freeze them or leave them in the fridge for later in the week. To avoid rushing on a school morning, I like to cook my oats the night before, store my pot in the fridge and in the morning I just have to make my patties and cook them.
- On low heat, lightly brown the oatcakes with a bit of coconut oil on the stovetop with the walnuts, pumpkin seeds and sliced apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon goodness for some blood sugar control.
- Serve with a bit of pure maple syrup and enjoy!
Leave a Reply