By: Meredith Deasley, RHN – Aurora, ON
Carob is a great substitute for cocoa if you are looking to reduce your chocolate consumption. It is similar in taste and appearance to cocoa, yet is caffeine-free.
- 1 ¼ cups maple syrup or fruit concentrate
- 1 cup sesame tahini or nut butter (or use ½ cup of each)
- 1 ¼ cups carob powder
- 1 cup sesame seeds or shredded coconut
- 8-14 drops peppermint extract
- 2 TBSP arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the nut butter and maple syup on low to medium heat until hot and soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Press the mixture into a lightly oiled 9 or 10 inch glass pie plate or similar pan.
- Press extra sesame seeds or coconut on top.
- Chill thoroughly in fridge.
- Cut and serve.