By: Jennifer Kavander, RHN, ROHP – Vancouver, BC
“Here’s a quick and easy way to add tons of flavour to chicken, salmon, or shrimp, without having to worry about planning way ahead and marinating for hours in advance. This rub lends itself well to both the barbecue and oven.”
To save time, mix together a large batch of the dry ingredients and store in a glass jar. When you’re ready to go, measure out desired amount of dry spice mix, and stir in enough lime juice to form a paste. Add a splash of hot sauce before rubbing onto meat or seafood.
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 TBSP ground chili powder
- 1 TBSP granulated garlic
- ½ TBSP ground cumin
- ½ TBSP ground coriander
- ½ TBSP dried oregano flakes
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- splash of hot sauce
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 – 1.5 lbs chicken, salmon, or shelled prawns
- Thoroughly combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir lime juice into dry ingredients, forming a paste. Add hot sauce.
- Rub paste over chicken, salmon, or prawns, and marinate for 30 to 60 minutes. To avoid mushy meat or seafood, avoid marinating for more than 60 minutes.
- Grill or bake as desired.