By: Kimberley Record, RHN, Health Coach – Peterborough, ON
“This is a great way to use up any leftover rice from last night’s dinner (in fact, I usually make extra so we can make this hot cereal in the morning!). The addition of hemp and chia seeds adds enough protein, healthy fat and fibre to ensure it carries you through till your mid-morning snack. It’s one of my daughter’s favourites, so safe to say it’s kid-approved…and it’s also great cold as an afternoon snack or healthy dessert!”
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup shelled hemp seeds (a.k.a. hemp hearts)
- ½ cup raisins
- cinnamon to taste
- In a medium saucepan, stir together brown rice, almond milk and maple syrup.
- Warm at medium temperature.
- Once desired temperature is reached (not boiling), mix in remaining ingredients.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- (Option) Refrigerate any leftovers and enjoy as a cold snack or dessert.
Note on chia seeds:
Chia seeds are very high in soluble fibre and therefore tend to plump up over time in liquid, giving them a tapioca-like texture. So you can experiment with adding them to the mix a bit earlier and find your favourite texture (more or less crunch)!