By: Deborah Luscomb, RHN – Halifax, NS
Customize this healthy muffin recipe to your taste – lots of creative ingredient options to choose from!
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup kamut or spelt flour (or other flour of choice)
- 1/4 cup hemp meal or hulled seeds
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup sunflower or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses (or maple syrup to taste)
- 2 beaten eggs (optional for lightness)
- 2 mashed bananas OR 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
OPTIONAL additions – mix and match any of the following:
- ½ cup coconut, grated, unsweetened
- ¼ – ½ cup raisins or other fruit
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds (or seeds of choice)
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup goji berries
- ½ cup grated carrot
- Any spices you wish to taste: cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, fennel, anise, clove, ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined.
- If adding fruit or nuts, fold them in.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.