By: Jennifer Kavander, RHN, ROHP – Vancouver, BC
“Looking for a great way to sneak in some extra servings of fruits and veggies? This smoothie is a nutritional powerhouse, and a great way to squeeze in 2 to 4 servings of antioxidant rich fruits and veggies. With the addition of protein and healthy fat, it makes for a perfect snack, or a quick breakfast. While spinach does seem like an odd ingredient to include, due its mild sweet flavour, the only reason you will know it’s there is because of the colour. ”
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ banana – the riper the better 🙂
- 2 cups raw baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or hemp milk (may modify to desired consistency)
- ½ scoop vegan or whey protein powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp organic grade B maple syrup or a pinch of stevia
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2-3 ice cubes
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth (if too thick, add more almond or hemp milk).
Optional Kid-friendly tip:
If you can’t convince your children to drink something green, try adding a tablespoon of raw cacao powder. In addition to changing the colour from green to chocolate brown, you’ll be adding in yet another dose of essential minerals and antioxidants!
Leave a Reply