By: Jill Ransom, RHN – Cochrane, AB
“This is my favourite recipe. I eat it first as a side with a meal or salad, then cold for breakfast.”
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 sundried tomatoes
- 2 minced shallots or 2 TBSP onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry quinoa grains
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 TBSP cilantro
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- Rinse quinoa well under lukewarm (approx 1 minute).
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add diced tomato, garlic and shallots/onion. Sauté 3-5 minutes until shallots are softened.
- Add stock, bring to boil.
- Stir in rinsed quinoa grains and cayenne pepper. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork, stir in any additional seasonings (note: depending on the chicken broth you use, it is equally good without the salt and pepper)